Saturday, March 21, 2015

It's World Poetry Day!



In 1999 the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) declared that March 21st would be World Poetry Day.

Before that it was celebrated in October to mark the birth date of Virgil, the Roman poet, and there are still national and international poetry days held then.

To celebrate I would like to share one of my poems with you. I wrote this for my grandson Connor.



Bedtime For Connor

Read me a story
He said with a smile.
I'm not sleepy yet.
It will take just a while.

I'll read you a story.
We'll cuddle and hug.
Then you'll go to sleep 
When I tuck you in snug.

Read me two stories
He said with a grin.
I'll be sleepy for sure and 
I'll go to bed then.

I'll read you two stories.
I'll lie here with you.
You'll be very sleepy
When I read you two.

Read me three stories
He said - about space!
I might be sleepy 
After a moon race.

I'll read you three stories.
We'll fly to the moon.
But we can't stay long.
You'll be asleep soon.

Read me four stories.
He said with a yawn.
I'm sure I'll be sleepy.
The sun is all gone.

I'll read you four stories.
But that will be all.
I have housework to do
And people to call.

Read me five stories.
He said in his sleep.
Then while you do your housework
I won't make a peep.

I'll read you five stories
My precious, my sweet.
The people can wait and
The laundry will keep.



I hope you like it. Thank you for reading.

Please feel free to share your favorite poem in the comments. I look forward to hearing from you.

2 comments:

  1. awwww this is such a good poem Mary love it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading melbunny! And thank you for the wonderful compliment. love you xoxoxo

      Delete